John E. Van Ness
Board Certified in Family Law for 15+ years
Lilly & Van Ness, LLP
3355 West Alabama Street, Suite 600
Houston, Texas 77098
EDUCATION & BACKGROUND
Family law attorney John E. Van Ness received his law degree from South Texas College of Law in 1994 after graduating from Stephen F. Austin State University in 1990 with a bachelor’s degree in finance. As an extension of his family law practice, Mr. Van Ness received training in mediation from A.D.R. Services International, Inc., and was board certified as a family law attorney by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in 2002.
John E. Van Ness is admitted to practice law in all state courts throughout Texas and has participated and assisted in representing clients in other states, including New York and Florida. Mr. Van Ness has extensive experience representing high net worth individuals in divorce cases, high profile cases involving professional athletes, television personalities, CEOs of Fortune 500 public companies and international business executives.
John Van Ness has practiced as a family law attorney for more than 25 years, having worked in Texas for the following family law firms:
- Lilly & Van Ness, L.L.P.
Partner, 2020 – Present
- Lilly, Newman & Van Ness, L.L.P.
Partner, 2009 – 2020
- Lilly Law Firm, P.L.L.C.
Associate, October 2008 – May 2009
- Earle S. Lilly, Attorney at Law
Associate, July 2007 – October 2008
- Piro, Lilly & Cole, L.L.P.
Associate, 2005 – 2007
- Piro & Lilly, L.L.P.
Associate, 1995 – 2005
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS & RECOGINITIONS
- Member, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (2020-present)
- Member, American Bar Association – Family Law Section (1995-present)
- Member, State Bar of Texas – Family Law Section (1995-present)
- Member, Houston Bar Association – Family Law Section (1995-present)
- Board Certified in Family Law – Texas Board of Legal Specialization (2002-present)
- Member, College of the State Bar of Texas (2001-2003, 2019-present)
- Associate, Burta Rhoads Raborn Inns of Court (2000-2002)
- Barrister, Burta Rhoads Raborn Inns of Court (2002-2005)
- Master, Burta Rhoads Raborn Family Law American Inns of Court (2022-present)
- Member, Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists (2002-present)
- Named Rising Star with Texas Super Lawyers by Texas Monthly Magazine (2004-2007)
- Named Texas Super Lawyers by Texas Monthly Magazine (2011, 2013-2015, 2017-2022)
- Member, Gulf Coast Family Law Specialists (2002-present)
- Board of Directors, Gulf Coast Family Law Specialists (2008-2009)
- Treasurer, Gulf Coast Family Law Specialists (2009-2010)
- President, Gulf Coast Family Law Specialists (2010-2011)
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation (2009-2018)
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation (2018-2019)
- Sustaining Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation (2019-present)
- Member, Family Bar of Fort Bend (2020-present)
AUTHORSHIPS & PRESENTATIONS
John Van Ness has published or participated in the following, since 1995:
- Author, “Dealing with Choice of Managing Conservator in a Custody Case,” State Bar of Texas, Advanced Family Law Course (1995)
- Author, “Local Heroes: True Angels (Warren Cole and Mike Stocker),” The Houston Lawyer (May/June 2000)
- Author/Speaker, “Practical Pointers on Routine and Uncommon Property and Reimbursement Claims: Inventory Preparation and Related Ethical Considerations,” South Texas College of Law, Family Law Conference for General Practitioners and Legal Assistants (February 2001)
- Speaker, “Drafting the Perfect Decree,” Family Law Seminar in Huntsville, Texas (September 2001)
- Moderator, South Texas College of Law, Family Law Conference for General Practitioners and Legal Assistants (February 2002)
- Author/Speaker, “Arbitration and Other Alternative Dispute Resolution Methods,” South Texas College of Law, Family Law Conference for the General Practitioner and the Legal Assistant (February 2003)
- Author/Speaker, “Custom Fit Your Possession Order,” State Bar of Texas, Advanced Family Law Course, San Antonio, Texas (2006)
- Author/Speaker, “Enforcement of Settlement Agreements, including MSA, BSA, and Rule 11 Agreements,” HBA Family Law Luncheon
- Author/Speaker, “Are you a Man or a Woman?” Gulf Coast Family Law Specialist Meeting
- Guest Lecturer for Pamela George, “Pre-Marital and Post-Marital Agreements and Enforcing the Same,” South Texas College of Law (2017)
- Speaker/Presenter, South Texas College of Law (2017)
- Author/Speaker, “Goodbye Tension, Hello Pension – Dividing Retirement Assets” (February 2018)
- Author/Speaker, “Interesting Property Issues in Divorce Cases,” State Bar of Texas, Family Law Section Annual Meeting (June 2022)
- Author/Speaker/Presenter, “Overcoming Family Law Presumptions,” Houston Bar Association CLE (September 2022)
Family Law Attorneys at Lilly & Van Ness, LLP
Lilly & Van Ness, LLP provides representation for individuals and families in matters related to divorce, complex division of marital assets, child custody, parental relocations, pre and postnuptial agreements, post-divorce modifications, enforcements and mediation.